Untethered holidays - Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1
And so you know that he recently decided to push the button on a release for all devices except the new iPhone4S and iPad2. @pod2g’s untether involves two separate exploits and a few other “tricks” - and since he’s taken the @comex approach of doing nearly everything himself, you know his plate has been full these past few months!
A few days ago, @pod2g gave the untether to both the iPhone devteam and the chronic devteam. We’ve put it into redsn0w 0.9.10 and PwnageTool, and the chronic devteam put it into a Cydia package (the same set of exploits is in all three).
Here are the basic steps for how to get it:
- The untether is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4-CDMA, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
- If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW firmware !
- See the guides at places like iClarified.com if you don’t know how. Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
- If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
- Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
Corona 5.0.1 Untether JailbreakWe thought it was appropriate to provide a link at the end of the redsn0w run for you to more easily donate directly to @pod2g if you wish (alternatively, you can go right here).
There’s a link in the Cydia package for donating to the chronic devteam for the Cydia version of @pod2g’s untether. @pod2g is now looking for a way to extend this to A5 devices, and new tutorial .
Because those devices cannot use geohot’s limera1n exploit to inject the untether, they require exploits above and beyond those used for this release. Keep following UnlockBoot on twitter or his blog for any progress reports!
Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 download links:
Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 tutorial :Step 1: Download the latest version of Redsn0w from the links given above.
Step 2: Start Redsn0w, select "Jailbreak" then check "Install Cydia". Follow the onscreen steps to place your device into DFU mode.
Step 3: Wait for Redsn0w to apply the full untethered jailbreak!
Once done, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch will be rebooted into fully untethered jailbreak mode!